REISTERSTOWN, Md. - SUNY Genseo sophomore forward Andrew Romano scored two goals while junior defenseman Duggie Lagrone added a goal and two assists as the No. 8/11 Knights earned a 7-3 road victory over Stevenson (Md.), Saturday.
Geneseo (11-4-1) earned its fourth victory in its last five outings - all on the road - including a 6-0 shutout at Lebanon Valley on Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lagrone put the Knights on the board just over three minutes into the contest before Stevenson (6-6-5) scored in the 10th minute of action to knot the score, 1-1, after 20 minutes of play.
- Geneseo scored five of the next six goals, including three unanswered during a decisive second period.
- Sophomore forward Tyson Empey scored his team leading 13th goal with 5:06 left in the second, before first-year defenseman Carson Kelley and Romano tallied in the final minute to stake the visitors to a 4-1 edge heading into the final period.
- The Mustangs pulled within two with a goal in the seventh minute of the third, but back-to-back goals by junior forward Arthur Gordon and Romano in less than a minute gave Geneseo a 6-2 lead with 11:40 remaining in regulation it would not relinquish.
- Stevenson scored with under seven minutes remaining but junior forward Zach Lynes responded less than a minute later to put the game out of reach.
- Lagrone, junior defenseman Mitch Ferguson, sophomore forward Conlan Keenan and sophomore forward David Szmyd were each credited with two assists apiece.
- Junior goalie Devin McDonald was credited with 20 saves to improve to 10-2-1 this season.
- Geneseo finished the day with a 35-23 advantage in shots.
Geneseo closes its seven-game road-swing on Friday (Jan. 19) with a 7:00 face-off at Buffalo State before returning home on Saturday (Jan. 20) to host Fredonia at 7:00 p.m. in the squad's lone home match of the month.