NORTHFIELD, Vt. – SUNY Geneseo earned a 4-3 victory over Northland (Wisc.) in the consolation game of the Northfield Savings Bank Holiday Tournament, hosted by Norwich.
The No. 6/7 Knights (9-4-1) opened a 4-1 lead late in the second period after goals by sophomore defenseman Tanner Salsberry, sophomore forward Tyson Empey, first-year defenseman Carson Kelley and sophomore David Szmyd en route to the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salsberry took a feed from junior forward Arthur Gordon from the right faceoff circle and scored on a shot in the low slot to open the scoring with 14:21 on the clock.
- Just over three minutes later, sophomore forward Conlan Keenan slid a pass from behind the Northland net to Empey, who scored on a one-timer inside the right post for a power play tally at 11:33.
- The Jacks (5-8-2) got one back at 8:02 after a failed Knights clear led to a goal that made it a 2-1 game into the second period.
- With 10:58 on the clock, Szmyd scored on a one-timer from the point on a pass from behind the Jacks' net from Keenan.
- Kelley played a center-ice pass back to sophomore defenseman Cam Russell, who sprung first-year forward Andrew Hart with a long outlet pass. Hart drew two defenders at the top of the Northland zone and dropped a pass to Kelly for a lefty wrist shot into the upper-right corner that made it a 4-1 lead with 2:51 on the clock.
- Northland finished an odd-man break with 1:21 left in the period to make it a 4-2 game after two periods.
- The Jacks pulled within one at 15:55 of the third with a power-play tally, but was unable to find the equalizer the rest of the way.
- Junior goalie Devin McDonald notched 32 saves to improve to 8-2-1 this winter.
- Empey was named to the all-tournament team after totaling four goals on the weekend, including a hat-trick in Friday's 9-5 setback to The University New England.
- Geneseo finished the game with a 40-35 advantage in shots.
Geneseo travels to Lebanon Valley for a 7:00 p.m. face-of on Friday (Jan. 12).