GENESEO, N.Y. - The SUNY Geneseo men's ice hockey team received a goal each from four skaters as the team earned a comeback victory over nearby rival Nazareth, 4-2, on Saturday night at Ira S. Wilson Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Nazareth (1-1-0) got on the board first, capitalizing on a five-minute power play in the first period to go ahead, 1-0.
- Geneseo (2-0-0) responded midway through the second period when junior defender Mitch Ferguson blasted a shot from the right point to level the score.
- Early in the third, sophomore forward Tyson Empey scored his third goal of the season to give the Knights a 2-1 lead.
- Just 16 seconds after Geneseo gained the lead, Nazareth tied the game on a goal off the faceoff, making it 2-2 with 18:04 remaining.
- Sophomore forward Devin Brink added his third goal of the year with just over 15 minutes to play, giving the Knights a 3-2 lead.
- Junior defender Duggie Lagrone tallied his first goal in a Geneseo uniform on a power play one-timer with 7:49 to go, giving the Knights an insurance goal.
- With 14 saves on the night, junior goalkeeper Devin McDonald earned his 30th career win, improving to 2-0-0 on the year.
- Empey recorded a goal and an assist to take the Geneseo points lead on the season with five (three goals, two assists).
- The Knights improve to 5-3-1 all-time against Nazareth, including three straight victories over the Golden Flyers.
- Geneseo begins the season with two consecutive wins for the fourth time in five seasons and have not lost a contest in October since 2012, going 6-0-3 in nine October contests since.
Geneseo returns to the ice on Friday, November 3 to open its State University of New York Athletic Conference schedule hosting Buffalo State at 7:00 p.m.