No. 5/6 Men's Ice Hockey Skates To 5-5 Tie With No. 3 Oswego

GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore forward Arthur Gordon scored two goals while sophomore goalie Devin McDonald made a career-high 46 saves, but it was the No. 5/6 Knights skating to a 5-5 tie opposite visiting No. 3/3 Oswego, Saturday, in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) men's ice hockey. 

Geneseo (12-2-3, 6-2-1 SUNYAC) built a 5-0 lead midway through the second period but it was the Lakers (14-3-1, 9-1-1 SUNYAC) scoring five-unanswered the rest of the way to earn the tie.

Geneseo took a 2-0 lead in the first four minutes of the game. Senior forward Jack Ceglarski, who finished with three assists, centered a puck from deep in the Geneseo zone as Gordon broke out behind the Laker defense. Collecting the puck inside the Laker blue line, Gordon beat Lakers' sophomore goalie David Jacobson with a hard shot inside the right post with 17:55 on the clock. 

Just over a minute later, senior forward Connor Anthoine centered a pass from the right wing into the low slot that senior forward Stephen Collins buried to finish off a rush at 16:44. Ceglarski notched his second helper after dropping a pass in the low slot from the right wing for a charging first-year forward David Szmyd to finish with 37.6 remaining to stake Geneseo to a 3-0 lead at the first intermission. 

In the second period, following a face-off to the right of the Oswego net, Collins sent a short pass across the crease to Anthoine, who scored from close range with 12:52 on the clock. Gordon notched his second goal during a 2-on-1 break started by a pass from senior forward Trevor Hills down the right boards. Collins slid a feed across the crease to Gordon, who scored on a wrist-shot inside the right post at 8:31. 

The Lakers began their comeback with a pair of goals by senior forward Joey Davies to finish the period in a three-goal hole. He scored his first during a power-play attempt on a high-slot shot through traffic at 6:18 before notching his second on a solo breakout down the left boards that ended in a snap from close range with 53 seconds on the clock to make it a 5-2 game after two periods. 

Twenty-four seconds into the third period, Davies took control of a loose puck off a face-off to the right of McDonald and fed senior defenseman Chris Raguseo for a scoring shot from the point. 

Five minutes later, Davies notched his third goal of the game in a crowd after finishing a short feed by senior defenseman Stephen Johnson from behind the net with 13:52 remaining in regulation. 

Johnson scored the equalizer with 3.3 remaining on a shot from the top of the slot that deflected in off McDonald's pads to force overtime. 

McDonald was credited with four saves in the overtime period to eclipse the 44 saves he made opposite Potsdam in the quarterfinals of last year's SUNYAC Tournament.   

Geneseo will host Hobart on Tuesday (Jan. 24) at 7:00 p.m.