GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo first-year guard Elijah Wingfield scored 10 points to lead the Knights as they fell short against seventh-ranked Hamilton, 68-43, on Tuesday night at Schrader Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo battled with Hamilton over the first few minutes of the contest and took a 9-7 lead when junior guard Terence Rogers nailed a jumper with 13:12 to go in the first half.
- With 9:42 to play in the half senior forward Sean Crowley created a steal that led to an easy transition basket for sophomore forward Alex Merhige, putting the Knights ahead, 14-13.
- Hamilton finished the half on a 28-9 run to take a 41-23 lead into the halftime break.
- Wingfield scored eight of his 10 points in the second half, but Hamilton held the Knights at bay for the entirety of the period to earn the win.
- Sophomore forward Joseph Harclerode III pulled a team-high eight rebounds while Wingfield registered a squad-best four steals.
- The Knights held the Continentals to a season-low 68 points, 22 points below their season average (90.5).
- Geneseo committed just 13 turnovers while forcing Hamilton into 20 giveaways.
The Knights will resume conference play when they travel to Brockport to face the Golden Eagles on Saturday at 4:00 p.m.