HOUGHTON, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior forward Jack Manke finished with 11 points and 10 rebounds as the Knights outscored the host Highlanders 52-25 in the second half to take a decisive 81-46 victory in their season opener on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights converted six of their first eight field goals to jump out to a 16-5 lead in the first six minutes of play.
- Houghton responded with a 16-8 run of its own to draw within three points, 24-21, but the Knights scored five straight points before halftime to head into the break with a 29-21 lead.
- In the second half, Geneseo held Houghton to just seven made field goals while the Knights shot 20-for-41 from the floor, including 7-for-14 from behind the arc to run away with the game, outscoring the Highlanders 52-25 in the second period.
- Geneseo (1-0) has now won four-consecutive season openers.
- The Knights eclipsed the 50-point plateau in a half for just the fourth time since the beginning of last season. The team scored 51 in the first half of last year's season opener against Marymount and then scored 50 and 55 in consecutive halfs in last year's 105-78 victory over Brockport (Feb. 3, 2018).
- The 35-point win marks the Knights' largest margin of victory in a road game since the team defeated D'Youville, 120-66, on Nov. 24, 2012.
- Senior guard Zack Panebianco and junior guard Terrance Nichols each finished with 16 points while first-year guard Michael Gannon scored eight in his debut.
The Knights will travel to Westminster (Pa.) to participate in the Buzz Ridl Tournament, facing Thiel on Friday, Nov. 16 at 6:00 p.m.