GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior guard Quinn Carey scored a game-high 24 points to lead the Knights to a 73-68 victory over visiting Oneonta in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) action, Saturday, at Schrader Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Red Dragons opened an early 8-4 lead, but Geneseo responded with a 13-2 run capped by a Carey three-pointer to lead, 17-10, with 12:52 remaining in the first half.
- Oneonta () used a 12-4 run to retake a 22-21 lead with 7:09 on the clock, however Carey kick-started a 15-5 spurt that pushed the Knights to a 36-27 lead at 1:15. Carey led all scorers with 22 points as the Knights held a 39-31 lead at halftime.
- A layup by sophomore forward Tommy Eastman gave Geneseo a 51-36 edge with 15:23 on the second half clock that later ballooned to as many as 18 points at 9:48 mark.
- Geneseo () held a double-digit lead until the final minute, when Oneonta scored the final 10 points of the game to get within five. However, time ran out as the Knights earned their fifth straight win.
- Geneseo has won five consecutive games for its longest winning-streak since stringing six wins together last January.
- Carey notched his third-straight game with at least 20 points, including a 31-point effort in Friday night's 81-67 win over visiting New Paltz that tied his career-high. He leads the SUNYAC with 86 three-pointers and stands fifth with a .453 shooting percentage from long range.
- Eastman finished the afternoon with 12 points for his eighth-straight game scoring in double-figures, while grabbing a team-high 8 rebounds.
- Geneseo honored its three members of the Class of 2018 during a senior ceremony prior to the game. Senior forward Jordi Menkhorst, senior guard Kevin Crockett and senior guard Charlie Zaepfel made their final regular-season appearance in Schrader Gymnasium.
The Knights close the regular season with back-to-back road games next Friday and Saturday (Feb. 16-17), traveling to Cortland (7:30 p.m.) and Oswego (3:00 p.m.), respectively.