CLINTON, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior guard Quinn Carey netted a career-high 31 points and secured seven rebounds, but it wasn't enough for the Knights to topple No. 14 Hamilton on the road, 74-70.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo (8-7) jumped out to a 10-4 lead on the Continentals, but Hamilton drew back within one, 13-12, with 11:38 to play in the first half.
- Hamilton (15-0) led by as many as nine points, 26-17, with 7:23 to go in the first half, but the Knights ended the period on a 17-8 run to tie the game, 34-34.
- In the second half, the Knights fell behind by five, 50-45, with 13:20 to play, but first-year guard Alex Merhige hit a layup and senior guard Kevin Crockett followed with a three to tie the game with 12:19 to go.
- Geneseo built a 70-61 lead when junior guard Zack Panebianco beat a defender and hit a floater in the low block with 3:54 left.
- The Continentals regained the lead with a 13-0 run to finish the game to earn the win.
- Carey's 31-point performance is the second-highest scoring output by a Knight this season, trailing only Panebianco's 34 points against Plattsburgh (Dec. 9).
- Crockett finished with 12 points and Merhige grabbed a team-high 11 rebounds, while sophomore forward Tommy Eastman added eight points and eight rebounds.
- Geneseo outrebounded Hamilton, 52-36, but committed 24 turnovers while the Contintentals committed 11.
Geneseo returns to conference play with a trip to Plattsburgh on Friday, Jan. 19 for a 7:30 p.m. tip-off.