NEW PALTZ, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior forward Erin Nolan scored two goals while junior defender Jordan Penkitis added a goal to lead the Knights to a 3-2 victory at New Paltz in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) field hockey action, Saturday.
Geneseo (12-2, 3-0 SUNYAC) won its ninth-consecutive decision to break a tie for second-longest winning streak in program history while winning its 11th game in its last 12 outings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- New Paltz scored the lone goal of the first quarter before Penkitis evened the score in the sixth minute of the second quarter with her fifth goal of the season, following up her first career hat-trick in Wednesday's 5-0 victory over visiting Keuka.
- The teams were scoreless until Nolan got into the action with an unassisted tally one minute into the fourth quarter. New Paltz answered 48 second later to re-tie the score, 2-2.
- Nolan scored what proved to be the game-winning tally with 5:20 left in regulation of an assist from senior forward Haley Clark.
- Clark notched her team-leading seventh assist for her SUNYAC-best 27th point of the fall.
- Nolan moved into tie for second in the conference with her ninth goal, only trailing Clark (10).
- Sophomore goalie Natalie Chojnacki tied a season high with seven saves, including one with 1:01 left in regulation during a New Paltz penalty corner.
Geneseo takes on host Utica this Wednesday (Oct. 16) at 4:00 p.m. before returning home next Saturday (Oct. 19) for a 4:00 p.m. SUNYAC showdown with Oneonta.