POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo first-year forward Cara O'Shea scored her first collegiate goal, but it was host Vassar defeating the visting Knights, 4-1, in the championship game of the Betty Richey Tournament, Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Vassar found the net early, scoring the first goal of the game two minutes into the first quarter.
- The Brewers extended their lead, 2-0, after an interception in front of the Geneseo net with less than five minutes remaining in the second quarter.
- O'Shea put the Knights on the board midway through the third quarter off an assist from senior defender Julia Kim.
- Vassar put the game out of reach with two goals in a four-minute span during the fourth quarter to seal the win.
- Knights' sophomore goalkeeper Natalie Chojnacki recorded eight saves in the loss.
- Junior forward Haley Clark led all players with five shots.
- Chojnacki joined senior defender Julia Kim and junior defenders Jordan Penkitis and Kelly McKeveny on the All-Tournament Team.
- Geneseo (1-1) travels to William Smith on Wednesday (Sept. 4) for a 7:00 p.m. match with the Herons.