POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo first-year forward Maggie Phipps totaled two goals and an assist in her collegiate debut to lead the Knights to a 3-0 victory over Marywood on the first day of the Betty Richey Tournament, hosted by Vassar.
The Knights (1-0) advance to Saturday's championship game at 2:00 p.m. opposite the host Brewers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior forward Haley Clark scored the first goal of the game on a short rebound in the eighth minute of the first quarter.
- Phipps notched her first goal on a three-yard shot in front off a feed from Clark for a 2-0 Geneseo lead in the 26th minute.
- Phipps found the net again off a short deflection in front with 19 second left in the first half for a 3-0 lead after 30 minutes of play.
- Geneseo limited Marywood to five second-half shots, including only one on goal, to preserve the win.
- Sophomore goalie Natalie Chojnacki was credited with five saves to earn her seventh career shutout – the fourth-highest total in program history.
- The Knights finished the game with an 18-12 advantage in shots.