POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo opened the season with a 3-1 victory against Marywood (Pa.) on the opening day of the Betty Richey Tournament at Vassar, Friday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- First-year forward Grace Dempsey notched her first collegiate goal by evading the Pacers' goalie on a rush from the left side to open the scoring at 18:14 left in the first half.
- Marywood (0-1) evened the score, 1-1, three minutes into the second half.
- Junior forward Elisa Arcara tallied what proved to be the game-winner off a pass from sophomore midfielder Haley Clark with just over 15 minutes left in the game.
- Sophomore forward Hayley Fonfara sealed the win after scoring on a loose ball rebound during a penalty corner attempt with 2:25 left in the match.
- The Knights (1-0) outshot Marywood, 13-2.
- Geneseo had a 9-1 advantage in penalty corners.
- First-year head coach Margaret McConnell earned her first collegiate victory.
The Knights will take on the host Brewers in the tournament championship game on Saturday (Sept. 1) at 3:30 p.m.. Vassar defeated Manhattanville, 10-0, in the day's other contest.