GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior defender Tess Necaise scored a first-half goal, but it was No. 16 Rochester taking home the 2-1 victory, Saturday at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rochester (15-3) opened scoring in the ninth minute when junior defender Courtney Dunham pushed the ball into the net off a pass from junior midfielder Jennifer Lee.
- Yellowjacket junior forward Nancy Bansbach scored what proved to be the game-winning goal during a penalty corner on a pass from sophomore forward Maya Haigis with 11:15 on the clock.
- The Knights (10-7) cut the lead in half with less than five minutes remaining in the first half when Necaise scored off a rebounded shot from senior forward Cara Stafford.
- Geneseo held Rochester scoreless in the second half and nearly tied the game when first-year Haley Clark beat a defender to create a breakaway, but the Yellowjacket keeper thwarted her effort, kicking the ball away before Clark managed a shot attempt.
- The Knights end the regular season with a record of 10-7, marking the eighth time in nine years the team has finished the season double-digit wins.
- Necaise's goal marked her second of the season and the defender's 11th career tally.
- First-year goalkeeper Mia Ludwig made three saves and did not allow a goal in the second half.
The Knights enter postseason play with a State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) semifinal round match at Cortland on Wednesday, Nov. 1 at 2:00 p.m.