BROCKPORT, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior forward Cara Stafford totaled one goal and one assist in a 6-0 victory at Brockport in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) field hockey action, Wednesday. It was the Knights' second-consecutive shut-out.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights opened the scoring in the 10th minute after senior forward Giovanna Fasanello scored on a shot from the top of the circle off a pass from junior defender Tess Necaise.
- Geneseo added to its lead nine minutes later when senior defender Morgan Maley tipped the ball into the goal off a drive by sophomore defender Julia Kim.
- Stafford gave the Knights a 3-0 lead with 4:26 left in the first half of an assist by junior midfielder Maria Dillingham.
- Geneseo broke the game open early in the second half with three goals in a four-minute span.
- First-year midfielder Jordan Penkitis took a feed from Stafford and notched a goal at 27:40 before first-year forward Sarah Armbrust converted a tally less than two minutes later off a pass from first-year defender Kelly McKeveny.
- With 24:02 on the clock, junior forward Gabriella Clare finished the scoring with a tally from the stroke line off a pass from first-year forward Haley Clark.
- Penkitis and Armbrust notched their first collegiate goals.
- McKeveny's assist was her first collegiate point.
- Geneseo (7-5, 3-2 SUNYAC) out-shot Brockport (2-11, 0-5 SUNYAC) 33-2, including a 28-1 advantage in shots on goal.
The Knights return home to compete against SUNYAC competitor Oswego on Saturday (Oct. 14) at 4 PM.