NEW PALTZ, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior forward Giovanna Fasanello scored two goals but it was host New Paltz scoring twice in the final 15 minutes of regulation to defeat the Knights, 4-2, in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) field hockey, Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- New Paltz got on the board in the second minute of play on the first of three goals on the day by Justine O'Reilly and then built a 2-0 lead in the 26th minute on a goal by Samantha Ackerman.
- Fasanello's first goal came with 5:48 left in the first half as the Knights trailed, 2-1, at intermission.
- Geneseo drew even with 32:12 on the second-half clock after Fasanello converted a penalty stroke for the 2-2 tie.
- O'Reilly notched what proved to be the deciding goal with 14:45 remaining in regulation after a flurry in front of the Geneseo cage.
- O'Reilly completed the hat-trick with 10 seconds left in regulation for the two-goal win.
- New Paltz out-shot Geneseo, 17-14 and also held a 13-5 advantage in penalty corners.
- First-year goalie Mia Ludwig was credited with seven saves to finish one short of the career-high eight she stopped opposite Vassar earlier this season.
- The game was a re-match of last year's SUNYAC Tournament Semifinals that saw the third-seeded Knights upset the second-seeded Hawks, 1-0.
Geneseo (3-5, 1-2 SUNYAC) hosts Keuka on Wednesday (Sept. 27) at 7:00 p.m.