POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior forward Cara Stafford scored her first goal of the season, but it was host Vassar out-scoring the Knights 3-1 in the championship game of the Betty Richey Tournament, Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Vassar (2-0) opened the scoring 1:39 into the match after Megan Caveny scored on a short shot in front of the Geneseo cage for the lone goal of the first half.
- Caveny found the net again 3:36 into the second half to give the Brewers a 2-0 lead they would not relinquish.
- Stafford put the Knights on the board with 22:08 left in regulation after scoring off a loose ball from close range.
- Vassar put the game out of reach with another tally with under eight minutes left in regulation.
- Senior defender Morgan Maley was named to the All-Tournament team along with sophomore defender Julia Kim and first-year midfielder Jordan Penkitis.
- Vassar out-shot Geneseo, 19-5, including a 10-2 edge in the first half.
- Knights' first-year goalie Mia Ludwig was credited with eight saves in her second collegiate start.
- Geneseo is now 1-2 in three meetings all-time with the Brewers. The Knights earned a 2-1 win in 2014 in a game played at Brockport. Vassar also defeated Geneseo, 1-0, in the opening round of the 2016 Betty Richey Tournament.
- Geneseo travels to William Smith on Wednesday (Sept. 6) for a 7:00 p.m. match.