FREDONIA, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior Elise Ramirez won her second-straight individual championship to lead the Knights to their eighth-consecutive State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Women's Cross Country Championship, Saturday, hosted by Fredonia.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ramirez (24:02.8) was the first of five-consecutive Geneseo runners to cross the finish line for a perfect 15-point winning team score, while the Knights' top-seven all placed in the top-nine.
- Junior Genny Corcoran finished second (24:04.0), improving six spots on last year's eighth-place effort.
- Senior Allison Fernandez posted her second-straight third-place effort (24:18.7).
- Senior Dana Cebulski crossed fourth (24:28.4) for the second time in as many years.
- Junior Taylor Rettig placed fifth (24:31.1), moving up seven places after an 11th-place effort in 2017.
- Junior Laura Barreca ended up seventh (24:59.9) to follow up last season's 19th-place showing.
- Junior Annibell Coolican finished ninth (25:15.1) after placing 15th in 2017.
TOP GENESEO FINISHERS (104 finishers)
1. Elise Ramirez 24:02.8
2. Genny Corcoran 24:04.0
3. Allison Fernandez 24:18.7
4. Dana Cebulski 24:28.4
5. Taylor Rettig 24:31.1
7. Laura Barreca 24:59.9
9. Annibell Coolican 25:15.1
1. GENESEO 15
2. Cortland 107
3. New Paltz 113
4. Brockport 121
5. Plattsburgh 139
6. Oswego 161
7. Oneonta 162
8. Fredonia 199
9. Buffalo St. 207
10. Potsdam 263
- Geneseo won its 18th championship (all in the last 19 years), two more than any other team in the 35-year history of the race.
- The Knights compiled a perfect 15-point score for only the second time in meet history (Cortland, 1992).
- A Geneseo runner has now won the race six-consecutive years.
- Ramirez posted her fourth-straight top-10 finish after also finishing seventh in 2016 and 10th in 2015.
Geneseo will compete in the Atlantic Region Championships on Saturday, Nov. 10, hosted by Rowan (N.J.).