GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo setter Emily Ast totaled 37 assists and 12 digs while junior outside hitter Grace Cergol added 16 kills and 10 digs to lead the Knights to a 3-1 (25-14, 24-26, 25-10, 25-15) victory over Alfred, Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Alfred (1-15) opened an early 4-2 lead in the first set, but the Knights responded with a 13-3 run that included four kills by Cergol and two kills and a block by first-year outside hitter Madde McLauglin to build a decisive 15-7 lead.
- The Saxons opened and early 7-3 lead in the second set, but a 15-8 run put Geneseo on top, 18-15. Alfred battled back to fight off a set point, 24-23, before scoring the final three points to knot the match at a set apiece.
- Geneseo opened a quick 10-1 lead to start the third set. Later leading 18-10, the Knights scored seven-straight points, including five of sophomore outside hitter Alexandra Frank's career-high eight service aces, to seal the victory.
- Geneseo opened a 7-1 lead in the fourth set, and later used a 12-1 run to open a commanding 24-10 en route to the victory.
- Ast logged her 3,000th career assist on the closing point of the first set to become only the second player (Amanda McKenzie '03, 4,791) in the 48-year history of the program to eclipse the milestone.
- The team's lone senior, Ast was honored in a pre-game Senior Night ceremony.
- McLaughlin finished the evening with 10 kills, including seven in the first set.
- First-year libero Mary Saladino compiled a career-high 17 digs in her first collegiate start.
Geneseo (11-6) travels to Buffalo State this Friday and Saturday for the second State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Pool Play of the fall. The Knights will square off with Brockport at 5:00 p.m. on Friday before taking on Cortland (12:00 p.m.) and the host Bengals (2:30 p.m.) on Saturday.