BROCKPORT, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo sophomore outside hitter Grace Cergol totaled 15 kills and 15 digs but it was Fredonia sweeping the Knights, 3-0 (25-19, 25-22, 25-20) in the semifinals of the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Women's Volleyball Tournament, Friday, hosted by Brockport.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first set, Fredonia broke a 13-13 tie with five-straight points for an 18-13 lead. The Knights pulled within two, 19-17, but the Blue Devils scored six of the final eight points to earn the opening win.
- In the second, Geneseo broke an early 7-7 tie with a 7-1 run for a 14-8 lead. The Knights pushed their lead to 17-10 before a 7-2 Blue Devil run made it a two-point deficit, 19-17. Geneseo re-took a 21-17 lead, but Fredonia finished the set by scoring eight of the final nine points to earn the comeback win.
- Fredonia jumped out to a 12-6 lead in the third set. Geneseo scored four-straight points to pull within two, 12-10, but the Blue Devils extended their lead back to a six-point margin, 18-12, that proved insurmountable.
- Geneseo's season comes to an end in the conference semifinals for the second-consecutive year after also falling to Brockport, 3-1, in 2016.
- Junior setter Emily Ast totaled 32 assists and 12 digs while first-year outside hitter Alexandra Frank compiled a team-high 16 digs.
- Sophomore libero Sam Mendelsohn added 12 digs.