HOUGHTON, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo junior setter Emily Ast totaled 36 assists and eight digs while sophomore libero Sam Mendelsohn added 17 digs to lead the Knights to a 3-0 (25-19, 25-18, 25-20) sweep at Houghton, Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo (14-5) opened a 10-3 first-set lead, highlighted by four kills by sophomore outside hitter Abby May. The Highlanders pulled back within one, 14-13, but an 8-4 spurt put the visitors on top by five, 22-17 en route to the opening win.
- The Knights rode a .467 hitting percentage to victory in the second. Trailing, 7-6, in the early going, Geneseo responded with a 7-2 run to take a 13-9 edge. Houghton countered by scoring eight of the next 10 points to take a 17-15 lead, but the Knights finished the set with a 10-1 run, including three kills by first-year middle blocker Kiersten Colvin, to build a 2-0 lead.
- Down, 4-0, to start the third, Geneseo came back with a 13-2 run that included three service aces by first-year outside hitter Gabrielle Ayzenberg. Houghton closed within four on two occasions, including 23-19 following a 5-0 run, but the Knights were able to close out the match.
- Geneseo has won 11 of its last 12 matches, getting back on track after having its 10-match winning streak snapped on Saturday, which tied for the second-longest run in program history.
- Mendelsohn has now compiled double-digit kills totals in 16 of the 18 appearances she has made this season, including 12 matches with at least 15 digs.
- Geneseo held Houghton to a .188 team attack percentage, including a .109 clip in the opening set.
Geneseo will host the second of three State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Pool Play tournaments this Friday and Saturday (Oct. 6-7). The Knights will take on Cortland at 5:00 p.m. on Friday before squaring off with two-time defending SUNYAC Champion Brockport (12:00 p.m.) and Buffalo State (5:00 p.m.) on Saturday.