ALFRED, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo first-year outside hitter Gabrielle Ayzenberg totaled nine kills to lead the Knights to a 3-0 (25-14, 25-16, 25-21) sweep at Alfred, Wednesday. The victory was Geneseo's eighth in a row.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first set, Geneseo turned a close 10-8 game into a 20-12 edge and scored five of the final seven points to earn the opening win.
- The Knights trailed, 6-3, early in the second, but a 7-0 run, including four service aces by sophomore outside hitter Abby May, put the Knights up 10-6. Leading 15-9, Geneseo pushed its lead to as many as eight down the stretch to clinch a 2-0 lead.
- The teams played a tight third set with neither team leading by more than two points. Trailing 19-17, Geneseo closed the match with an 8-2 run that include a pair of Ayzenberg kills.
- Geneseo's eight-straight victories is the longest streak since the 2014 squad started with an 8-0 mark.
- First-year outside hitter Alexandra Frank and sophomore defensive specialist Sam Mendelsohn each compiled 10 digs to lead the defense.
- May finished the night with a career-high five service aces, eclipsing the four she totaled in last Wednesday's 3-1 win over visiting SUNY Poly.
Geneseo heads to Poughkeepsie, N.Y. for a two-day tri-match, facing Nazareth on Friday (Sept. 29) at 7:00 p.m. before taking on Western Connecticut (12:00 p.m.) and the host Brewers (4:00 p.m.) on Saturday (Sept. 30).