MIDDLEBURY, Vt. - SUNY Geneseo first-years Zara Shah and Cate Gluchowski each earned singles match wins to close out a victory as the Knights defeated Penn State Berks, 5-0, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament hosted by Middlebury College on Thursday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights (11-9) took an early 3-0 lead after sweeping doubles play. Senior Rachel Ollis and junior Vanessa Lam-Tran earned an 8-3 victory at first doubles while junior Nina Lurie teamed with first-year Dana Sorrentino to grab an 8-4 win at the second doubles flight. Gluchowski teamed with classmate Gretchen Ayoub to take a third doubles victory, 8-1.
- In singles play, Shah and Gluchowski each earned a 6-0, 6-0 victory, Shah at fifth singles and Gluchowski at sixth singles to complete the match and give the Knights the win.
- Geneseo won its fifth-consecutive NCAA Tournament First Round match and improved to 7-2 in nine appearances.
- Ollis and Lam-Tran improved to a team-best 12-5 in doubles play, including three victories at first doubles.
- At the time of completion, Geneseo had won the first set in five out of six singles matches.
Geneseo faces host Middlebury on Friday at 11:00 a.m. in NCAA Tournament second-round actions.