BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - The SUNY Geneseo women's tennis team defeated Oneonta, 5-0, in the semifinals of the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Tournament, Sunday afternoon.
After the Knights swept the opening doubles matches to take a 3-0 lead, junior Sienna Susko (3rd) and sophomore Vanessa Lam-Tran (4th) won their singles matches to clinch the victory. In SUNYAC tournament format, play ends after the decisive fifth match is won.
The No. 1 seed from the West Division, Geneseo raised its record to 8-1 this fall, including a 7-0 mark against SUNYAC opposition, and will play New Paltz in tomorrow's championship match at 10:00 a.m. New Paltz, the East Division's No. 1 seed, defeated Plattsburgh, 5-1, in the day's other semifinal.
It is the sixth-consecutive title match involving Geneseo and the Hawks, with the previous five going to the Knights. The two squads met earlier this season at New Paltz, with the Knights taking a 5-4 win.
Tomorrow's winner will receive an automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Tournament, to be contested in May.
2016 SUNYAC Tournament - Semifinals
Binghamton Tennis Center
1. Anika Pornpitaksuk/Lauren Salzano (G) def. Jacqueline Guidice/Alana Green, 9-8 (10-8)
2. Vanessa Lam-Tran/Sienna Susko (G) def. Faith Headrich/Samantha Felice, 8-3
3. Nina Lurie/Rachel Ollis (G) def. Kayla Houle/Kaitlin Ferrara, 8-2
1. Lauren Salzano (G) vs. Alana Green, 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
2. Anika Pornpitaksuk (G) vs. Jacqueline Guidice, 6-3, 5-2, unfinished
3. Sienna Susko (G) def. Michelle Halpern, 6-3, 6-0
4. Vanessa Lam-Tran (G) def. Faith Headrich, 6-0, 6-1
5. Nina Lurie (G) vs. Kayla Houle, 6-2, 5-1, unfinished
6. Jennifer Buckhout (G) vs. Samantha Felice, 2-6, 2-5, unfinished