BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - The SUNY Geneseo women's tennis team defeated Cortland, 5-0, in the quarterfinals of the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Tournament, Saturday evening.
After the Knights swept the opening doubles matches to take a 3-0 lead, junior Anika Pornpitaksuk (2nd) and sophomore Vanessa Lam-Tran (4th) won their singles matches to clinch the victory. In SUNYAC tournament format, play ends after the decisive fifth match is won.
The No. 1 seed from the West Division, Geneseo raised its record to 7-1 this fall, including a 6-0 mark against SUNYAC opposition, and will play Oneonta in tomorrow's semifinals at 2:30 p.m. Oneonta, the East Division's No. 2 seed, defeated Brockport, 5-1, in the day's other quarterfinal play.
Geneseo and Oneonta met earlier this season, with the Knights taking a 7-2 win on the road. The winner of tomorrow's match will advance to Monday's championship match at 10:00 a.m.
Geneseo has won seven of the last eight SUNYAC Championships, and is in the hunt for its sixth-consecutive title. The consecutive championship streak has all been in the team play format, which the SUNYAC switched to in 2011.
2016 SUNYAC Tournament - Quarterfinals
Binghamton Tennis Center
GENESEO 5, CORTLAND 0
1. Anika Pornpitaksuk/Lauren Salzano (G) def. Mia Hayes/Nikaylah Williams, 8-5
2. Vanessa Lam-Tran/Sienna Susko (G) def. Katie Fineman/Kim Givelechian, 8-1
3. Nina Lurie/Rachel Ollis (G) def. Kristen Parker/Kelli Camp, 8-5
1. Lauren Salzano (G) vs. Nikaylah Williams, 6-1, 5-1, unfinished
2. Anika Pornpitaksuk (G) def. Mia Hayes, 6-0, 6-3
3. Sienna Susko (G) vs. Katie Fineman, 6-1, 5-1, unfinished
4. Vanessa Lam-Tran (G) def. Kim Givelechian, 6-1, 6-1
5. Nina Lurie (G) vs. Cassie Special, 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
6. Jennifer Buckhout (G) vs. Michelle Coffey, 6-0, 0-0, unfinished