GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior midfielder Domenica Piccoli scored one goal to lead the Knights to a 1-0 win against visiting Brockport on Saturday to seal their second-consecutive top seeding in the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior back Taylor Clar took a free kick from nearly 40 yards out and delivered it to junior midfielder Sarah Loprieno in the center of the box. Loprieno flicked the ball to the far post where Piccoli struck for the lone goal of the game in the 27th minute.
- Geneseo tallied eight shots in the second half while Brockport notched six, but neither team conceded another goal as time ran out.
- Geneseo (10-2-1, 7-0-0 SUNYAC) outshot Brockport (6-9-0, 2-5-0 SUNYAC), 20-7, with a 9-3 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Knights finished with a 6-4 edge in corner kicks.
- Geneseo clinched the top seed for the second-consecutive season and will host throughout the SUNYAC Tournament.
- The Knights have outscored their opponents 24-6 on the season, including eight consecutive shutouts.
- Senior goalkeeper Emily Janiszewski recorded her ninth shutout of the season, the 37th of her career, and is one shy of tying the program record.
- Geneseo celebrated senior day, recognizing seniors Ashley Byrne, Caitie Cunningham, Leslie Graus, Emily Janiszewski, Jennifer Moran and Rachel Walsh in a pre-game ceremony.
The Knights travel to Cortland on Friday (Oct. 19) for a 4 p.m. contest.