GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo first-year forwards Hannah Sullivan and Nicole Bell each scored within a 28-second span to lead the Knights to a 2-0 victory against Potsdam in their State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) opener, Friday at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sullivan opened scoring at 30th minute when she collected a Geneseo clearance, dribbled up the field and fired a 25 yard shot that went bar down off the crossbar and in to give the Knights the lead.
- Less than 30 seconds later, Bell received a pass from sophomore midfielder Ellie Gregory up the left flank, quickly cut back into the box and found the far netting to put Geneseo ahead, 2-0.
- Senior goalkeeper Emily Janiszewski made three saves, including a point-blank stop in the 74th minute, to preserve the shutout for Geneseo.
- Geneseo (4-2-1, 1-0-0) outshot Potsdam (7-2-0, 0-1-0), 16-5, with a 9-2 advantage in corner kicks.
- Janiszewski earned her fourth clean sheet of the season and the 33rd of her career. She needs six more shutouts to break the all-time Geneseo record for career shutouts (38, Paula Fisher '95).
- Sullivan and Bell each registered their second goal of the season.
- Bell has scored goals in each of the Knights' last two contests.
The Knights will host Plattsburgh, Saturday (Sept. 22) in their second SUNYAC match on the weekend.