GENEVA, N.Y. - The SUNY Geneseo women's soccer team fell to second-ranked William Smith, 3-0, on Wednesday afternoon at Cozzens Field. The Knights were within a goal at halftime, but the Herons pulled away in the second half to earn the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo held the home team scoreless for the first 31 minutes, but the Herons found the net in the 32nd minute to take the lead.
- Junior forward Domenica Piccoli registered the Knights only shot on goal with an attempt in the first half, but it was turned away by the William Smith goalkeeper.
- William Smith added a pair of goals in the second half, scoring in the 51st and 55th minutes to go ahead, 3-0.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Julia McDonald made four saves in the first half, while sophomore goalkeeper Marissa Quimby also made 4 saves in the second half.
- William Smith outshot Geneseo, 18-4, and earned eight corners while holding the Knights to two.
- The Knights were shut out for the second time this season after being shut out just three times last year.
Geneseo (2-2-1) will travel to Farmingdale State on Saturday, Sept. 15 for a 1:00 p.m. game.