GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior forward Ashley Byrne scored in the 106th minute to send the Knights to a double-overtime victory over Misericordia, 1-0, in the second round of the NCAA Division III Women's Soccer Tournament on Sunday afternoon at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo (18-1-2) and Misericordia (15-5-2) played evenly through the first 90 minutes, with each team earning five shots on goal during regulation.
- In the first overtime period, the Cougars controlled the pace of play, putting two shots on net, while Geneseo was held without a quality scoring chance.
- With just over five minutes remaining in the second overtime period, senior forward Audrey Reid sent in a corner kick that Byrne connected with and sent to the side netting of the far post, giving Geneseo the victory.
- Byrne's goal marks the latest game-winner in this year's NCAA Division III Women's Soccer Tournament, coming in the 106th minute. Swarthmore earned a 1-0 victory over Susquehanna in the first round with a goal in the 105th.
- Junior goalkeeper Emily Janiszewski recorded seven saves to produce her 10th shutout of the year, becoming the first Geneseo keeper to ever record multiple seasons of 10 or more shutouts.
- With 18 wins, Geneseo matches the program-record for single-season wins set by the 1993 squad (18-2-0) that advanced to the NCAA Division III National Semifinals.
- In 11 NCAA Tournament games throughout program history, Geneseo has gone into extra time on eight occasions, going 3-1-4 in those games and advancing on penalties three times.
Geneseo will take on Johns Hopkins in the NCAA Tournament Round of 16 at a site and time to be determined. Stay tuned to GeneseoKnights.com for more information as it becomes available.