GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior midfielder Leah Greene scored the game-winning goal in the 98th minute to lead the Knights to a 2-1 overtime victory versus Penn State Berks in the opening round of the NCAA Division III Women's Soccer Tournament, Saturday, at College Stadium.
Penn State Berks (15-6-1) got on the board in the 33rd minute and held Geneseo (17-1-2) at bay until the 89th minute when junior midfielder Ashley Byrne tied the match to force overtime.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Penn State Berks sophomore midfielder Melissa Martin took control of a ball eight yards in front of the right post of the Knights' goal. Splitting a pair of defenders to get open, Martin flipped a shot from just off the back line that evaded Knights' junior goalkeeper Emily Janiszewski and scored into the left side of the net.
- The Nittany Lions shut Geneseo down over the next 57 minutes before the Knights were awarded a corner kick with under two minutes left in regulation. Geneseo senior forward Audrey Reid served a ball from the right corner to the top of the eight-yard box where Byrne out-jumped a crowd to head the ball out of the air and into the back of the goal for the equalizer.
- Greene's goal game on a free kick from 30 yards out on the right wing. Sophomore defender Taylor Clar served a ball just inside the top of the 18-yard box that Greene settled with her left foot before driving a 15-yard right-footed shot into the back of the Nittany Lion net for the deciding goal.
- Greene now has four career goals in three NCAA Tournament match appearances. She also scored a natural hat-trick to bring the Knights back from an early 3-0 deficit in a first-round match opposite Frostburg State in the first round of the 2014 tournament that saw Geneseo advance on penalty kicks, 2-1.
- Geneseo finished the match with a 25-9 advantage in shots.
- In 10 all-time NCAA Tournament matches for Geneseo, seven have either been decided in overtime or on penalty kicks.
Geneseo advances to play the winner of Saturday's other first-round match between Hamilton and Misericordia on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. Check back later for further results.