GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior forward Audrey Reid scored two goals to garner MVP honors and lead the Knights to a 4-0 victory over Plattsburgh in the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Women's Soccer Tournament Championship match, Saturday, at College Stadium.
With the victory, Geneseo (16-1-2) earned an automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Tournament for the second time in four years. The 64-team field will be announced on Monday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo opened the scoring 10 minutes into the game. First-year midfielder Ellie Gregory dropped a pass from the left side into junior midfielder Jennifer Moran, who took two steps and scored on a left-footed shot across goal inside the right post.
- The Knights nearly scored in the 23rd minute when junior back Rachel Walsh was awarded a penalty kick after being brought down in the box. Plattsburgh (13-5-2) junior goalie Nicole Gibson made a diving save inside the right post on the ensuing attempt and recovered to save another point-blank shot by sophomore midfielder Domenica Piccoli to keep the Knights at bay.
- Geneseo made it a 2-0 affair in the 32nd minute during a corner kick attempt. Sophomore midfielder Grace Dunnigan played a ball to the top of the 18-yard box where sophomore back Taylor Clar struck a shot toward the left post that deflected off a Cardinal defender and past Gibson.
- Reid scored back-to-back goals in less than a three-minute span of the second half to seal the victory. In the 64th minute, Geneseo was awarded another penalty kick after Piccoli was taken down in the middle of the box. Reid struck a right-footed shot into the left side of the Cardinal goal for the 3-0 edge.
- Reid then gained possession in the middle of the Plattsburgh zone and drove a 25-yard shot into the top-right corner with 24:29 showing.
- Geneseo finished the match with a 16-14 edge in shots, including an 11-6 advantage in the first half.
- Gibson was credited with nine saves while Geneseo junior Emily Janiszewski totaled five stops to preserve her 11th shutout of the season.
- Reid joined senior midfielder Leah Greene, Moran and Clar on the All-Tournament Team. Moran was also named the SUNYAC Elite 20 winner for having the highest GPA (3.98) out of all the players in the championship match.
- With her 18th and 19th goals of the year, Reid surpassed the 17 scored by Anne Beinetti '12 during the 2011 campaign for the highest single-season total in program history.
Geneseo will be making the sixth NCAA Division III Tournament appearance in program history against an opponent and on a date to be determined.