GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore forward Domenica Piccoli scored the game-winning goal with less than five minutes remaining as the Knights edged Oneonta, 2-1, in the State University of New York Athletic Conference Semifinals on Wednesday afternoon at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo struck first in the 34th minute. Moran took control of a loose ball at the top-left corner of the 18-yard box and created enough space to loop a chip shot inside the top corner of the right post.
- The Red Dragons only needed 13 seconds to respond. Amanda Roney took the ball on the re-start and dribbled down the middle of the field through numerous defenders toward the Geneseo net. A Knights' defender finally knocked the ball off Roney's foot, but Micaela Honsinger was there to score on an 18-yard shot into the left corner of the Geneseo goal.
- The score remained tied until the final five minutes when Piccoli gave the Knights the lead. First-year Ellie Gregory crossed a dangerous ball into the Oneonta goal-mouth where the Red Dragons attempted a clear, but the ball fell to Piccoli who poked it in to give Geneseo a 2-1 advantage with 4:39 to play.
- Junior goalkeeper Emily Janiszewski made eight saves to preserve the victory as top seed Geneseo advanced to the SUNYAC Championship game.
- The Knights improve to 16-7 in the SUNYAC semifinal round, including a 6-2 record against Oneonta in those games.
- Geneseo advances to the SUNYAC Finals for the 17th time in program history, but is seeking just its sixth conference title and its first since 2015.
- The Knights are 10-0-0 in games this season in which Piccoli registers at least one point.
- With five game-winning goals on the season, Piccoli ties senior forward Audrey Reid for the team lead.
Top seed Geneseo will host second seed Plattsburgh in the SUNYAC Championship game on Saturday, Nov. 4 with kickoff scheduled for 1:00 p.m.