GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior midfielder Leah Greene scored the eventual game-winning goal as the ninth-ranked Knights earned a 6-1 victory over visiting New Paltz in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) play, Saturday at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo struck first when senior forward Audrey Reid received a pass just outside the 18-yard box from sophomore forward Domenica Piccoli and scored on a low shot into the bottom left-corner of the net .
- The Knights added a second goal in the 24th minute as senior midfielder Leah Greene scored on a shot from outside the box into the top-right corner after gaining possession in the midfield.
- Reid added her second goal of the match on a free kick from 30 yards out 31:19 into the first half to give Geneseo a 3-0 lead. The Knights tallied their fourth goal of the first half when Ashley Byrne scored from inside the box.
- First-year midfielder Ellie Gregory got the fifth Geneseo goal of the match 37 seconds into the second half as her shot went off the crossbar and in on an assist from sophomore midfielder Grace Dunnigan.
- New Paltz scored their first goal of the match in the 56th minute as senior forward Alicia Fanny volleyed in a pass from senior forward Danielle Grossi into the back of the net.
- Junior back Rachel Walsh converted a penalty into the bottom-right corner of the net with 63:25 on the clock to extend the Knights' lead.
- Geneseo outshot the Hawks 27-3, including an 11-1 advantage in shots on goal.
- Dunnigan recorder her first career assist and Walsh tallied her first career goal for the Knights.
- Geneseo improves to 19-3-2 all time against New Paltz, including five consecutive wins against the Hawks.
- At 9-0-1, the Knights are off to the best start in program history through 10 games, topping the 1994 team (8-1-1).
The Knights return to action on Tuesday (Oct. 3) to face Alfred at 4:30 p.m. from College Stadium