GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore forward Domenica Piccoli scored the game-winning goal in the first half as the No. 15 Knights earned a 1-0 victory over No. 3 William Smith on Wednesday night at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Herons nearly got on the board in the fourth minute after forward Sheila McQuillen beat the Geneseo (5-0-0) defense for a free run on goal. Junior goalkeeper Emily Janiszewski was taken out of the play as McQuillen continued with a shot on goal. However, sophomore back Sarah LeFrois was on the goal line for the Knights to clear the shot attempt for a team save.
- Geneseo broke through in the 23rd minute on a corner kick. LeFrois collected a failed clearance and dropped a ball in front of the William Smith goal, where Piccoli ripped a full volley that ricocheted in off the left post for what proved to be the lone tally of the match.
- While the Herons (3-1-0) controlled the ball for the majority of the night, Geneseo was able to avoid any damage, en route to its fourth-consecutive shutout.
- Janiszewski finished the night with five saves, and took control of the six-yard box, cutting off several crosses from the flanks to hold William Smith scoreless.
- Geneseo earned its first win over William Smith since 2003, improving to 8-15-2 all-time versus the Hersons.
- Piccoli has registered four points in the last two games and has six points on the season.
- LeFrois' assist was her first career point.
- Geneseo has not allowed a goal in its last 522 minutes of play, only yielding a score in the 18th minute of the season-opener at St. Lawrence (Sept. 1).
- Geneseo will travel to Farmingdale State on Sunday (Sept. 17) for a 11:00 a.m. matchup with the Rams.