ENGLEWOOD, Fla. - The SUNY Geneseo women's lacrosse team fell, 13-11, to Denison (Ohio) on Wednesday in a Spring Break game played in Englewood, Fla.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo opened a 5-2 lead with 12:13 left in the first half. Sophomore attacker Hannah Marafioti started things off with a tally 23 seconds into the game followed by a goal by sophomore attacker Lindsay Hernady at 25:40.
- Denision responded with two-striaght goals to knot the game, 2-2, at 19:15, but Geneseo goals by senior midfielder Maddie Lee, Marafioti and sophomore midfielder Megan Henderson over the next seven minutes staked the Knights to the three goal edge.
- Denison put together a 6-0 run over the next seven minutes to build a 8-5 lead with 2:15 left in the half, before senior midfielder Mallory Max and sophomore midfielder Laura Skrzypczyk each scored in the final minute to bring it back to a one-goal deficit for the Knights, 8-7, at halftime.
- Denison opened the second half with a 3-1 run to lead, 11-8, with 19:17 left in regulation.
- Geneseo scored three consecutive tallies by Skrzypczyk (16:55), sophomore attacker Jacqui Thorsen (12:10) and Hernady to re-tie the game, 11-11, with 4:59 remaining in regulation.
- Denison scored twice in a 20-second span to re-claim a two-goal edge, 13-11, with 4:14 remaining that proved to be the difference.
- Eight Knights scored at least one goal, including two apiece by Hernady, Marafioti and Skrzypczyk.
- Junior defender Cassidy O'Rourke scooped a team-high nine ground balls.
- Senior goalie Tess McFadded compiled 14 saves in 33 minutes of work as Denison finished the game with a 33-28 shot advantage.
Geneseo returns home to host Montclair State (N.J.) on Sunday (March 24) at 12:00 noon.