BUFFALO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore guard Natalie Alfieri scored a game-high 18 points while senior forward McKenna Brooks posted a 13-point, 13 rebound double-double as the Knights earned a State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) victory over host Buffalo State, 68-57, on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Buffalo State opened the game with a 5-4 lead, but an Alfieri three put the Knights ahead, 7-5. Senior forward Nicole Kaczmarczyk closed the quarter with six-straight points as the Knights finished the frame leading, 20-11.
- In the second quarter, Geneseo stretched its lead to as many as 14 points, but the Bengals cut their deficit to 10 by the break as the Knights entered halftime leading, 37-27.
- Senior guard Kelsey Poplawski and Brooks scored back-to-back buckets to open the third quarter, pushing the Geneseo lead to 14 points. The Knights gained their largest lead of the game with 3:19 to go in the third when Brooks finished a fast-break layup to make it 50-35, but Buffalo State drained consecutive threes to cut into the lead.
- The hosts drew to within eight points, 59-51, with 3:20 to play, but Alfieri and junior guard Sara Ciotti combined to shoot 4-for-4 from the free throw line in the final minute as the Knights sealed the win.
- Brooks posted her sixth double-double of the season as the Knights earned the sweep of the Bengals and snapped a two-game losing streak.
- Brooks also grabbed a team-high five steals, pushing her career total to 175, moving into 11th all-time in Geneseo program history.
- Alfieri sunk a season-high four three-pointers, shooting 4-for-6 from beyond the arc, while the rest of the Knights combined shot 1-for-13 from deep.
- Geneseo outrebounded Buffalo State, 42-35, including 12 offensive rebounds.
The Knights will host SUNYAC rival Brockport on Saturday at 2:00 p.m.