ONEONTA, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior forward Nicole Kaczmarczyk scored a game-high 12 points as the Knights defeated State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) rival Oneonta, 56-48, on Friday evening at Dewar Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo and Oneonta battled back and forth in a first quarter that included four ties and five lead changes. Kaczmarczyk capped the period with back-to-back layups to put the Knights ahead, 18-15.
- Kaczmarczyk and senior forward Alyssa Lesakowski opened the second period with consecutive baskets to push the Geneseo lead to 22-15, their largest of the first half, but Oneonta went on a 7-0 run to tie the game with 4:04 to play. Geneseo finished the period on an 8-3 run to take a 30-25 lead into the break.
- The Knights built on their lead in the third quarter, outscoring the Red Dragons, 14-10. Sophomore guard Natalie Alfieri and senior forward McKenna Brooks scored four points apiece to propel the Geneseo offense.
- In the fourth quarter, Oneonta cut the lead to just five points with 2:21 remaining, but senior guard Kelsey Poplawski buried a deep three at the end of the shot clock with 1:48 to go that sealed the victory.
- The Knights shot a season-low 21.7% from beyond the arc, converting on three three-point field goal attempts.
- Poplawski, Alfieri and junior guard Sara Ciotti each finished with nine points while Brooks recorded eight points, seven rebounds and two blocks. Sophomore guard Lindsay Halpin was held scoreless for the first time this season, but pulled a team-high nine rebounds and dished two assists.
- Geneseo held Oneonta to a season-low 48 points and outrebounded the Red Dragons, 39-36.
Geneseo will travel to SUNYAC rival New Paltz to face the Hawks on Saturday afternoon at 2:00 p.m.