ALFRED, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior guard Sara Ciotti scored a game-high 18 points to lead the No. 22/23 Knights as they pulled away in the second half to defeat host Alfred, 85-49, on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights opened the game on a 13-4 run before Alfred cut the lead to six points with 3:03 remaining in the first quarter. Geneseo responded with nine-straight points to close the quarter, taking a 22-7 lead to end the frame.
- In the second period, Geneseo led by as many as 20 points, taking a 35-15 lead when senior forward Alyssa Lesakowski finished a layup with 4:49 to go. Alfred capped the quarter with a 16-6 run to cut the advantage in half as the Knights went into halftime leading, 41-31.
- In the third, the Knights shot 11-for-18 (61.1%) from the floor and generated seven Alfred turnovers, outscoring the Saxons, 26-7, to extend the lead to 67-38.
- Geneseo outscored Alfred, 18-11, in the fourth quarter, furthering its lead and closing out the contest.
- Geneseo (6-0) shot 34-for-67 (50.7%) from the floor, eclipsing the 50.0% shooting mark for the third time this season after reaching that threshold in only four contests all of last year.
- Ciotti led four Knights in double-digits as sophomore forward Kerrin Montgomery and senior forward Nicole Kaczmarczyk each scored 11 and sophomore guard Natalie Alfieri added 10.
- Senior forward McKenna Brooks finished with six points, 12 rebounds and a career-high six blocks while sophomore guard Lindsay Halpin recorded seven assists.
- Geneseo finished with a season-high 52 points in the paint, shooting 28-for-45 (62.2%) from two-point distance.
- The Knights are outscoring opponents 123-65 in the third quarter this season.
Geneseo opens the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) schedule with a trip to Oswego on Friday, Nov. 30, with tip-off scheduled for 5:30 p.m.