MORRISVILLE, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior forward McKenna Brooks finished with a team-high 14 points and seven rebounds as ten Knights recorded at least one field goal to roll past Morrisville, 79-40, on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo outscored the Mustangs, 14-7, in the first quarter, as junior guard Madison McCulley and sophomore guard Lindsay Halpin hit back-to-back threes to end the frame.
- The Knights opened the second period on an 18-1 run to extend their lead to 32-8 with 4:44 left in the quarter. Senior forward Nicole Kaczmarczyk capped the first-half scoring with a layup that extended the Geneseo lead to 42-15 at the break.
- In the second half, the Knights continued to pound the ball inside on the offensive end, finishing with 40 points in the paint. Geneseo also controlled the glass, outrebounding the Mustangs, 52-28.
- McCulley, Kaczmarczyk and junior guard Sara Ciotti each recorded nine points while sophomore guard Natalie Alfieri and senior guard Kelsey Poplawski both scored eight.
- First-year Meaghan Perrino scored her first collegiate basket, hitting a layup with 4:13 remaining in the game. She finished the game with six points.
- The Knights improve to 17-2 in regular season games against non-conference opponents dating back to the 2016-17 season, with an average scoring margin of +18.6 points.
- Geneseo begins the season at 5-0 for the second time in three campaigns, and improves to 6-0 all-time against Morrisville.
Geneseo will return to action on Tuesday, Nov. 27 when they travel to face Alfred at 6:00 p.m.