YORK, Pa. - SUNY Geneseo senior forward McKenna Brooks scored 14 points and finished with seven rebounds and three steals as the Knights exploded for 49 points in the second half to defeat host York (Pa.), 74-51, on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights jumped out to a 13-5 lead behind back-to-back three-pointers from junior guard Sara Ciotti, but York finished the period on a 9-4 run to cut the lead to 17-13 to enter the second quarter.
- With 2:45 to go before halftime, York took a 24-23 lead, but senior forward Nicole Kaczmarczyk sunk a jumper to give the Knights a 25-24 edge at the break.
- York drilled a three-pointer on their first posession of the third quarter, but Geneseo held the Spartans scoreless for the remainder of the period. The Knights finished the quarter on a 25-0 run to take a 51-27 lead.
- In the fourth quarter, York drew within 17 points but the Knights closed out the game to earn the win.
- Geneseo shot 28-for-52 (53.8%) from the floor including 7-for-14 from behind the arc, the second time this season the Knights have shot 50.0% or better from the floor and behind the arc this season.
- The Knights scored 38 points in the paint while holding York to just 10, and scored 13 second-chance points while holding the Spartans without any.
- Sophomore forward Kerrin Montgomery scored 12 points and grabbed nine boards to earn Tournament MVP honors while sophomore guard Lindsay Halpin was named to the All-Tournament Team as well.
Geneseo will travel to Morrisville on Tuesday, Nov. 20 to face the Mustangs at 5:00 p.m. in their final game before the Thanksgiving break.