GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore guard Lindsay Halpin finished with a team-high 14 points, including seven points in the final 1:20, to earn the Knights a victory over William Smith, 67-63, in the team's home opener Saturday at Schrader Gymnasium
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo (2-0) trailed by as many as five points in the first quarter, falling behind, 14-9, with 4:30 left in the frame, but the team pulled within two points by the end of the quarter.
- After a pair of William Smith free throws to open the second period, Geneseo went on a 7-0 run to take a 22-19 lead. The Knights led by as many as four points, but went into the halftime break with a 31-30 advantage.
- In the third quarter, the Knights outscored William Smith, 24-15, led by nine points from sophomore guard Natalie Alfieri to take 55-45 lead into the final period.
- The Herons came storming back, opening the fourth on an 8-2 run. William Smith held Geneseo to just four point over the first 8:40 of the quarter and took a 60-59 lead with 1:31 to play.
- Halpin hit a go-ahead three-pointer on the ensuing posession with 1:19 to go. After a defensive stop, she hit another mid-range jumper on the next Geneseo posession and sank a pair of free throw with six seconds remaining to put the game out of reach.
- Geneseo shot 24-for-49 (49.0%) from the floor, including 6-for-14 (42.9%) from beyond the arc while holding William Smith to 25-for-67 (37.3%) shooting and 6-for-29 (20.7%) from three.
- Alfieri finished with 13 points while senior guard Kelsey Poplawski added 11 and senior forwards McKenna Brooks and Nicole Kaczmarczyk each tallied nine.
- The Knights improved to 51-3 at home since the beginning of the 2014-15 season, and have not lost a regular season home game since Feb. 5, 2016.
- Geneseo allowed an opponent to score 60 points for just the fifth time in the past two seasons combined.
The Knights will travel to York College to compete in the York College Coaches vs. Cancer Classic, facing Lycoming in the first round on Friday, November 16 at 7:30 p.m.