HAMBURG, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior forward Nicole Kaczmarczyk netted a career-high 15 points to lead five Knights in double-digits as the team opened the 2018-19 campaign with a 78-51 victory over host Hilbert on Thursday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights and Hawks battled in the first quarter, but senior forward Alyssa Lesakowski drained back-to-back three pointers to put Geneseo ahead, 19-13. Hilbert ended the frame on a 5-0 to cut the lead to one point, 19-18.
- Geneseo closed the first half on a 9-0 run, spurred by seven-straight points by sophomore forward Kerrin Montgomery, to take a 39-28 lead into the halftime break.
- The Knights led by as many as 18 points in the third quarter, and entered the final frame leading, 58-42.
- In the final frame, Geneseo outscored Hilbert, 20-9, shooting 8-for-13 from the floor while holding the Hawks to 4-for-13 shooting to close out the victory.
- Kaczmarczyk began the game shooting 6-for-6 from the floor and finished with a 7-for-8 shooting performance.
- Senior forward McKenna Brooks finished with 12 points, 12 rebounds, five steals and a career-high five assists.
- Sophomore guard Natalie Alfieri and Lindsay Halpin each finished with 12 points while Montgomery scored 10.
- The Knights shot 32-for-57 (56.1%) from the floor, including an 8-for-13 (61.5%) clip from beyond the arc. It marks only the fifth time since the beginning of the 2016-17 season that the Knights have shot better than 50.0% from the floor.
- First-year forward Megan Roell scored her first collegiate basket late in the fourth quarter, finishing on a pick-and-roll layup.
- First-year head coach Alyssa Polosky earns her first career coaching victory in her debut.
Geneseo (1-0) will host William Smith on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. in the Knights' home opener.