OSWEGO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo first-year guard Natalie Alfieri scored 14 points as the Knights closed the regular season with a 47-31 victory at Oswego in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) action, Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- First-year guard Lindsay Halpin netted six points in the opening frame as Geneseo (23-2, 18-0 SUNYAC) led, 12-6, after the first quarter.
- After leading, 15-8, less than a minute into the second stanza, the Knights used a 10-2 run that included six points from Alfieri to take a 25-10 lead with 5:18 remaining.
- The Lakers finished the second quarter on a 9-2 run as Geneseo held a 27-19 advantage going into halftime.
- The Knights out-scored Oswego, 8-0, over the first five minutes of the third quarter before building a 39-22 lead at 4:24.
- Carrying a 42-26 edge into the fourth quarter, the Lakers got no closer than nine points as the the Knights came away with their eighth-straight victory.
- The Knights finished unbeaten in regular season conference play for the second-straight season and for the third time in program history.
- First-year forward Kerrin Montgomery finished with six points and a team-high nine rebounds.
- Geneseo won its 10th-straight game opposite the Lakers.
The Knights earned the top seed for the SUNYAC Tournament and will host the semifinals and finals next Friday and Saturday (Feb. 23-24). Geneseo awaits the winnner of Tuesday's quarterfinal matchup between fifth-seeded Brockport and fourth-seeded New Paltz. Oneonta earned the second seed and will take on either third-seeded Cortland or sixth-seeded Buffalo State.