GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo first-year guard Lindsay Halpin netted a career-high 21 points as the Knights earned a 75-58 victory over State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) foe Oneonta on Saturday afternoon at Schrader Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo led by as many as six points in the first quarter, jumping out to an 8-2 edge, but Oneonta used a 11-4 run to take a 13-12 lead. The Knights regained the lead when junior forward Alyssa Lesakowski scored five-straight points to put the home team ahead, 17-13. Oneonta drilled a three-pointer on the final possession of the quarter to cut the lead to 17-16.
- In the second quarter, Geneseo outscored the Red Dragons, 29-20, to take a 46-36 lead into the halftime break.
- The Knights opened the second half on a 9-0 run, holding Oneonta scoreless for the first 4:02 of the third quarter. The Red Dragons drew to within eight points, 58-51, before the end of the frame.
- In the fourth quarter, first-year guard Lindsay Halpin ended a 4:22 scoring drought for the Knights, finishing a layup to put the Knights ahead, 61-53.
- Geneseo finished the game on a 14-5 run to earn the victory and remain undefeated in conference play.
- The team honored seniors Sam Barry and Davina Ward in a pre-game ceremony. Barry drew her first career start while Ward dressed for the first time in her career and pulled a rebound in the final minute.
- Junior guard Kelsey Poplawski scored 13 points while first-year guard Natalie Alfieri netted 12 and first-year forward Kerrin Montgomery added 10. Junior forward McKenna Brooks added seven points, 10 rebounds, three steals and three blocks.
- Geneseo outscored Oneonta, 36-20, in the paint and recorded 18 points off of 16 forced turnovers.
The Knights will travel to Cortland on Friday, Feb. 16 and finish the regular season at Oswego on Saturday, Feb. 17.