GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore guard Sara Ciotti posted 15 points and added four rebounds with three assists to lead the Knights to a victory over Alfred, 68-34, at Schrader Gymnasium on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo opened the game with a 10-4 lead after sophomore guard Natalie DiSalvo finished a layup in transition. The Saxons cut the lead to three points before Ciotti converted a three-point play with under a minute remaining to give the Knights a 15-9 lead to end the quarter.
- The Knights held Alfred to four points in the second quarter and ended the half on a 10-0 run to extend their lead to 34-13 at the halftime break.
- Back-to-back buckets by first-year guard Natalie Alfieri keyed another 10-0 run for the Knights in the third quarter as they took a 51-25 lead.
- First-year forward Emily Lavarnway provided a spark in the fourth quarter, recording a steal and four points during a 14-4 run for the Knights as they pulled away to earn the victory.
- First-year guard Lindsay Halpin finished with 10 points, three rebounds, three assists and two steals while Alfieri netted eight with a team-high seven rebounds.
- Geneseo held Alfred to just 34 points on 15-for-56 (26.8%) shooting from the floor, their best defensive shooting performance this season. The Knights held opponents to under 40 points six times last season.
- The Knights improve to 18-7 all-time against the Saxons, and have won 13-straight games against Alfred.
- In four wins this season, Geneseo has recorded an average margin of victory of 25.5 points.
Geneseo will begin conference play on Friday, Dec. 1 when they travel to Oneonta for a 5:30 p.m. contest against the Red Dragons.