GRANTHAM, Pa. - SUNY Geneseo first-year guard Natalie Alfieri scored nine points and pulled in five rebounds as the Knights fell to host Messiah, 63-51, in the Hampton Inn Tip-off Classic on Saturday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons jumped out to a 10-5 lead in the first quarter, but Geneseo with a 7-0 run to take a 12-10 lead. Messiah tied it with a bucket before the end of the first frame.
- Geneseo (1-1) took a 17-12 lead with a 5-0 run to begin the second period, but Messiah regained the lead to take a 31-28 advantage into the halftime break.
- The Knights trailed by as many as six points in the third quarter, but a three-pointer by sophomore guard Madison McCulley followed by five straight points from sophomore guard Sara Ciotti put the Knights ahead 42-40 to end the frame.
- Messiah outscored Geneseo 23-9 in the final quarter to earn the victory.
- Junior forward McKenna Brooks led the Knights with 11 points and nine rebounds while first-year guard Lindsay Halpin scored seven points and grabbed six boards.
- Geneseo shot 18-for-53 from the floor and earned assists on just four field goals.
- The Knights committed 21 turnovers while the Falcons netted 15 points off of turnovers.
Geneseo will return to action on Sunday when they take on Waynesburg at Messiah. Tip-off is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.