PITTSFORD, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior infielder Anna Merante went 3-for-3 with a home run to lead the Knights to a 4-0 victory over Mt. St. Mary in the NCAA Division III Softball Regional hosted by St. John Fisher on Friday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo plated a pair of first-inning runs when sophomore infielder Maddison Tucker lifted a triple to left-center and junior outfielder Danni Napoli followed with a two-run home run down the left field line, making it 2-0.
- In the third inning, junior catcher Taylor Fedor drove an RBI single up the middle to plate Merante and increase the Knights' lead to 3-0. Merante blasted a line-drive solo home run to center field to make it 4-0.
- Junior pitcher Taylor Moore baffled the Mt. St. Mary bats, limiting them to five hits and recording six strikeouts in her fourth complete-game shutout of the season.
- The Knights are now 3-1 all-time in NCAA Tournament play, and own a 2-0 record in the opening game of the tournament, also winning their first game in their only other NCAA Tournament berth (2002).
- Moore recorded her 30th career win, becoming just the eighth pitcher in Geneseo history to reach the 30-win milestone. Her .750 winning percentage (30-10) trails only Katie Hovey '03 for second in program history.
- The game marked Geneseo's fourth multi-home run game of the season as Napoli blasted her second of the season and Merante sent out her third home run of the year.
Geneseo will return to action at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, facing host St. John Fisher.