BROCKPORT, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore Maddison Tucker and junior Taylor Fedor each totaled two RBI and scored a run to lead the Knights to a 10-2 victory over host Brockport and earn a doubleheader split in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) softball action, Friday.
With the victory, Geneseo (26-6, 13-3 SUNYAC) clinched the top seed and will host the SUNYAC Tournament next Thursday-Sunday (May 3-6). The Knights will open the tournament on Thursday at 9:00 a.m. against the sixth-seeded opponent to be announced.
GAME ONE: Brockport 6, Geneseo 5
- Brockport gained a quick lead in the first inning with five runs on six hits.
- After two scoreless innings, Geneseo plated four runs in the fourth inning. Junior outfielder Danni Napoli led off with a double and came around on a Golden Eagle fielding error before junior infielder Kylie Papagelos and sophomore infielder Brooke Wolff were each credited with RBIs later in the rally.
- The Golden Eagles got one back in the bottom half of the inning to take a 6-4 lead.
- Junior outfielder Alyssa Persich led off the seventh inning with a double and came around to score on a throwing error on a ball hit by Tucker. Pinch-runner Rachel Mihlstin advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt by Napoli, but was thrown out at home on an attempted squeeze bunt by junior infielder Anna Merante during the next at-bat.
GAME TWO: Geneseo 10, Brockport 2
- The Golden Eagles opened the nightcap with a home run in the bottom of the first, but Geneseo senior infielder Tori Fahie brought Merante in from third with an RBI single to knot the score in the top of the second.
- Brockport scored a run in the bottom of the fourth, but the Knights answered with three runs in the top of the fifth to forge a 4-2 lead. Senior infielder Claire VanNewkirk was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded for a two-out RBI, before Fedor knocked a two-run single to right center for a lead the visitors wouldn't relinquish.
- The Knights sealed the game win with two runs on the sixth and four runs in the seventh inning. In the bottom of the sixth, Tucker hit an RBI single to plate Wolff, before Persich scored on a bases-loaded fielders choice by Merante. In the seventh, sophomore infielder Abbey Whitney and Wolff hit back-to-back RBI singles as Geneseo sealed the victory with four runs on three hits.
- Sophomore pitcher Ashlyn Kersch only allowed four hits and two earned runs while striking out five over 5.2 innings of work, before junior pitcher Jasmine Petrishin pitched the final four outs.
- Kersch improved her record to 10-1 this spring while running her season strikeout total to 59.
- The Knights clinched the top seed and right to host the SUNYAC Tournament for the first time since 2003.
- Persich scored her team-high 25th run of the season.