CLERMONT, FLA. - SUNY Geneseo senior Claire VanNewkirk ripped a double and brought in two runs in the second game of the day as the Knights salvaged a split, beating Marian (Wisc.), 10-0, after falling to University of New England, 10-2.
- The Knights were held to four hits as first-year Rachel Mihlstin, sophomore Abbey Whitney and junior Taylor Fedor had singles while junior Kylie Papagelos hit a double. Mihlstin scored two runs while first-year Melissa Triolo and Fedor each recorded an RBI.
- UNE scored at least one run in each of their five at-bats, as first-year pitcher Nicole Schwartz battled through the lineup. Shwartz lasted 4.2 innings, and recorded four strikeouts while walking just one. Junior Jasmine Petrishin came on for the final out, retiring the only batter she faced.
- Geneseo scored 10 runs on 11 hits in the second game of the day, including three extra-base hits. Papagelos went 2-for-3 with three runs scored, a walk and a double.
- Sophomore Ashlyn Kersch threw a complete game shutout with two strikeouts while she allowed just five hits and one walk.
- The Knights plated four runs in the first inning, as VanNewkirk brought in two with a double and Fedor added a run with an RBI double. Kersch brought in a run with an RBI single up the middle to make it 4-0.
- In the second, the Knights added two more runs on a pair of walks and a Marian error, making it 6-0. Geneseo tacked on four more runs in the fourth inning to make it 10-0 and closed out the game in the fifth for the run-rule victory.
- Papagelos leads the team in batting average (.667, 12-for-18), while junior Alyssa Persich and Whitney are each batting .462 on the season.
- In three appearances, Kersch has tossed 17.0 innings, allowed one earned run and rung up 13 strikeouts for a team-best 0.41 ERA.
- Geneseo has recorded 36 extra-base hits in 10 games so far this season. It took the Knights 20 games to reach that mark last year.
The Knights will face Ripon (Minn.) at 9:00 a.m. on Friday morning and then take on Wisconsin-Stout at 11:30 a.m.