BUFFALO, N.Y. - The SUNY Geneseo men's swimming & diving team earned its fifth-consecutive State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Championship on Saturday at Erie Community College. The Knights pulled away from the rest of the field on the fourth and final day of the championship meet, earning several top-three finishes, including a pair of event wins.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Mitchell Phelps earned a first-place finish in the 200 back with a time of 1:53.62, narrowly edging out second-place finisher senior Jacob Cole who clocked in at 1:54.25. In the 400 yard free relay, the Geneseo team of first-years Will Eng and Harry Harkins, junior Matthew Modelewski and senior Jeff Doser combined to tally a SUNYAC record finish of 3:03.77, topping the field by nearly five seconds. The quarter all finished in the top five individually in the 100 free, with Doser taking second, followed by Eng, Harkins and Modelewski, respectively.
- On Friday, SUNY Geneseo seniors Samuel Randall and Scott Guyton each broke records as the Knights continued their success at the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Championships on Friday at Erie Community College. Randall broke his own SUNYAC and meet record in the one-meter dive, recording an 11-dive score of 590.40 to take first place. Guyton broke his own record from last year's championship meet, taking first place in the 100 fly with a time of 49.28. Junior Kaz Sampson added a first-place finish in the 100 breast, clocking in at 57.77 while senior Jeff Doser took first in the 200 free with a time of 1:41.33. Sampson and Guyton combined with junior Matthew Modelewski and sophomore Mitchell Phelps to take first in the 200 medley relay, touching up at 1:32.25 as Geneseo closed the day with five first-place finishes in seven events. The Knights have accumulated 654 points and currently sit in first place, 250 points ahead of second-place Cortland, entering the fourth and final day of competition.
- In Thursday's action, SUNY Geneseo seniors Scott Guyton and Jeff Doser teamed with junior Kaz Sampson and sophomore Mitchell Phelps to set a SUNYAC record in the 400 medley relay, finishing in first place with a time of 3:22.54, to highlight the Knights' second day of action at the SUNYAC Championships on Thursday. Sophomore Matt Mattera earned a first-place finish in the 500 free, recording a 4:41.61 mark. The Knights placed four in the top six of the 50 free led by Doser (third, 20.99), and five of the top seven finishers in the 200 IM, headlined by junior Clark Davis (second, 1:53.81).
- On the opening night of the SUNYAC Championships, SUNY Geneseo senior diver Samuel Randall finished first in the three-meter dive to highlight the first day of action at the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Championships at Erie Community College on Wednesday night. After scoring a 592.45 in prelims, Randall posted an 11-dive score of 584.70 to take first place in the event. The 800 free relay team comprised of senior Jeff Doser, junior Matthew Modelewski, sophomore Mitchell Phelps and first-year Harry Harkins also took first, timing at 6:51.59 to set a SUNYAC Championship meet record.
- The Knights finished with 919 points to earn the championship, followed by Cortland in second (591), Oswego in third (482.5) and New Paltz in fourth (442). Buffalo State, Fredonia, Oneonta, Brockport and Potsdam rounded out the field.
- Geneseo earned 10 first-place finishes out of 20 events, setting one meet record and five SUNYAC records, including a new conference record in the 200 free relay, set in a time trial on Friday. Eng, Secord, Harkins and Doser set a new conference mark with a time of 1:21.77, and was also an NCAA B Cut time.
- The Knights have won five-straight SUNYAC titles and 25 total crowns, including 17 under head coach Paul Dotterweich.
- Dotterweich was named Men's Swimming Coach of the Year while Geneseo diving coach Shawn Austin earned SUNYAC Diving Coach of the Year. Doser was awarded the James Fulton Award, recognizing him as the meet's top senior student-athlete, while Randall earned Diver of the Meet.
Geneseo swimmers who qualify for the NCAA Division III Swimming & Diving Championships will travel to Indianapolis, Ind., beginning on Wednesday, March 21.
|Date||Event||Name||Seed Time||Prelims||Finals (Champions in Bold)|
|Feb. 21||3-Meter||Samuel Randall||592.45||1. 584.70 NCAA Standard|
|Denzel Flowers||295.45||9. 293.75|
|800 Free Relay||Geneseo|
|Doser, Modelewski, Phelps, Harkins||1. 6:51.59 MEET RECORD|
|Feb. 22||200 Free Relay||Geneseo||1. 1:22.53 NCAA B CUT|
|Secord, Guyton, Harkins, Doser|
|500 Free||Harper Coleman||4:57.74||4:54.43||9. 4:49.80|
|Matt Farago||4:59.32||4:50.90||8. 4:53.37|
|Matt Mattera||4:48.96||4:43.67||1. 4:41.61|
|Joseph Ruggiero||4:54.78||4:53.94||13. 4:56.88|
|John Wilson||4:55.65||4:55.46||14. 4:56.92|
|200 IM||Jacob Cole||1:57.56||1:57.96||6. 1:56.08|
|Clark Davis||1:55.27||1:53.86||2. 1:53.81|
|Scott Guyton||2:02.07||1:58.02||7. 1:58.06|
|Matthew Modelewski||1:58.33||1:56.11||5. 1:56.01|
|Lyle Wagner||1:56.32||1:54.16||3. 1:54.51|
|50 Free||Jeff Doser||21.09||21.06||3. 20.99|
|Will Eng||21.41||21.18||5. 21.19|
|Harry Harkins||21.36||21.19||4. 21.16|
|Derek Secord||20.99||21.17||6. 21.29|
|400 Medley Relay||Geneseo|
|Phelps, Sampson, Guyton, Doser||1. 3:22.54 SUNYAC Record|
|Feb. 23||200 Medley Relay||Geneseo||1. 1:32.25|
|Phelps, Sampson, Guyton, Modelewski|
|400 IM||Harper Coleman||4:19.03||4:16.39||5. 4:15.11|
|Clark Davis||4:07.26||4:07.77||2. 4:06.89|
|Matt Farago||NT||4:20.48||7. 4:22.24|
|Matt Mattera||4:18.71||4:15.77||3. 4:07.83|
|100 Fly||Scott Guyton||51.36||49.74||1. 49.28 SUNYAC Record, NCAA B CUT|
|Mitchell Phelps||51.84||50.88||4. 50.99|
|Roy Phipps||54.98||54.09||15. 54.63|
|Lyle Wagner||51.12||50.67||2. 50.41|
|John Wilson||53.96||53.29||12. 53.59|
|200 Free||Jeff Doser||1:41.41||1:44.76||1. 1:41.33|
|Harry Harkins||1:45.51||1:45.71||5. 1:45.13|
|Matthew Modelewski||1:44.84||1:44.77||3. 1:43.78|
|Joseph Ruggiero||1:48.48||1:45.54||7. 1:46.12|
|100 Breast||Kaz Sampson||57.59||58.30||1. 57.77|
|Derek Secord||51.12||59.78||6. 1:00.46|
|100 Back||Jacob Cole||53.09||53.35||3. 52.21|
|Will Eng||55.02||53.68||6. 53.50|
|Mitchell Phelps||53.55||52.23||4. 52.42|
|Roy Phipps||58.01||55.24||13. 55.62|
|1-Meter||Samuel Randall||1. 590.40 SUNYAC Record, NCAA Standard|
|Denzel Flowers||10. 289.10|
|Feb. 24||1650 Free||Harper Coleman||10:31.58||2. 16:15.86|
|Matt Farago||10:49.45||6. 17:02.33|
|Matt Mattera||9:52.32||10. 17:17.88|
|200 Back||Jacob Cole||1:55.30||1:55.90||2. 1:54.25|
|Mitchell Phelps||1:56.51||1:54.42||1. 1:53.62|
|Roy Phipps||2:12.15||2:02.02||13. 2:02.51|
|100 Free||Jeff Doser||46.27||46.01||2. 45.73|
|Will Eng||47.01||46.19||3. 46.40|
|Harry Harkins||47.27||46.93||4. 46.90|
|Matthew Modelewski||47.31||47.21||5. 46.99|
|Joseph Ruggiero||47.77||47.46||7. 47.54|
|Derek Secord||47.66||48.33||12. 48.14|
|200 Breast||Clark Davis||2:08.86||2:09.22||2. 2:08.22|
|Kaz Sampson||2:11.56||2:11.99||3. 2:08.50|
|200 Fly||Scott Guyton||2:03.21||1:56.72||4. 1:56.77|
|Lyle Wagner||1:54.53||1:54.82||3. 1:56.72|
|John Wilson||2:05.17||2:03.07||13. 2:04.12|
|400 Free Relay||Geneseo||1. 3:03.77 SUNYAC Record|
|Eng, Modelewski, Harkins, Doser|