GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore forward Bryan Wager scored the game-winning goal with 34 seconds left in the second overtime period to propel the Knights to a 2-1 victory over visiting Fredonia in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) action, Saturday at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo (4-3-1, 1-1-0 SUNYAC) opened the scoring in the 66th minute when senior midfielder Alex Clar sent the Blue Devils' sophomore goalkeeper Ty Bentham the wrong way on a penalty kick.
- Fredonia (5-3-0, 0-2-0 SUNYAC) equalized in the 80th minute after first-year defender Sam Wagner scored on a looping header on an assist from sophomore defender Matt Casey.
- In the final seconds, junior midfielder Gavin Gleasman won a tackle in the defensive end and sent a through ball ahead to senior forward Joey Vucic down the right flank. Vucic ran it down and played a pass inside the box to Wager, who took a touch and slotted in a low shot into the middle of the net for the win.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Dillon Medd recorded five saves to earn the victory in net.
- Geneseo outshot the Blue Devils 27-16, while earning 12 shots on goal to the Devils' six.
- The victory over Fredonia marks the Knights' third straight against the Blue Devils.
The Knights return to action on Friday (Sept. 29) as they travel to face Oneonta in a SUNYAC showdown at 3 p.m.